Monday, May 23, 2011

Rave Down




Gearing up for a week of shoots. Been doing tons of organizing and rooting around through past shoots. Found these gems from a shoot I did a while back. That's Gretchen Mol. Yup. And Birdy Bell and Erin Fetherston. Really love the way these images came out. Thanks so much for the subjects bravery and helping us really create these characters. Just discovered a cool series by Paul Rowland that leans heavily on Richard Avedon's "In The American West". This book is pretty much my standard bearer for the classic portrait. So simple yet ressonant. Paul Rowland's work is a clever take on it. 5 years ago I started a series of direct remakes of Avedon's portraits. I shot them with a hard flash and the effects were from make up, not years of hard living. After 3 or 4 sittings everybody on the project got busy or distracted and it kind of drifted away. Seeing Pauls work made me go back and look at the images again. I've posted a few of them in the New Work section. Stay tuned for more.